1 alternative names for the body of a human being; "Leonardo studied the human body"; "he has a strong physique"; "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" [syn: human body, physical body, material body, soma, build, figure, physique, anatomy, shape, bod, frame, form, flesh]
2 a metal mounting for the circuit components of an electronic device
3 the skeleton of a motor vehicle consisting of a steel frame supported on springs that holds the body and motor
- Rhymes: -æsi
- A base frame, or movable railway, along which the carriage of a mounted gun moves backward and forward.
- The base frame of a motor vehicle.
- A frame or housing containing electrical or mechanical equipment, such as on a computer.
A base frame, or movable railway
base frame of motor vehicle
A frame or housing containing electrical or mechanical equipment
- Finnish: asennuspohja
A chassis (plural: "chassis") () consists of a framework that supports an inanimate object, analogous to an animal's skeleton, for example in a motor vehicle or a firearm.
Examples of use
In the case of vehicles, the term chassis means the frame plus the "running gear" like engine, transmission, driveshaft, differential, and suspension. A body (sometimes referred to as "coachwork"), which is usually not necessary for integrity of the structure, is built on the chassis to complete the vehicle. Commercial vehicle manufacturers may have “chassis only”, “cowl and chassis”, as well as "cab and chassis" versions that can be outfitted with specialized bodies. These include motor homes, fire engines, ambulances, box trucks, etc.
- A tank's chassis (hull) comprises the bottom part of the tank, which includes the tracks, power plant, driver's seat, and crew compartment. This describes the lower hull, although common usage of "tank chassis" might include the upper hull to mean the tank without the gun turret. Tank chassis often serve as basis for tank-converted platforms such as armored personnel carriers, combat engineering vehicles, etc.
- In computers, the chassis refers to the rigid framework onto which the motherboard, memory, disk drives, and other equipment are mounted. It also supports the shell-like case: the housing that protects all of the vital internal equipment from dust, moisture, and tampering. The term "case modding" refers to the artistic styling of otherwise rather functional and plain computer encasings. Main article: computer case for personal machines or rack mount for commercial grade servers.
- Backbone chassis
- Monocoque, structural shell, instead of a structural frame
- 19-inch rack
chassis in Bulgarian: шаси
chassis in Czech: Podvozek
chassis in German: Fahrgestell
chassis in Spanish: Chasis
chassis in French: Châssis
chassis in Dutch: Chassis
chassis in Japanese: シャシ (自動車)
chassis in Polish: Chassis
chassis in Portuguese: Chassis
chassis in Swedish: Chassi
chassis in Chinese: 底盘
chassis in Italian: Telaio (meccanica)
backing, base, baseboard, basement, bearing, bushing, cabinet, cadre, case, casement, casing, console, dado, doorframe, fabric, foot, footing, foundation, frame, framework, framing, housing, infrastructure, keel, lattice, latticework, mopboard, mount, mounting, nadir, picture frame, radio, radio receiver, radio set, radio telescope, receiver, receiving set, sash, set, setting, shell, shoemold, skeleton, sole, toe, underframe, wainscot, window case, window frame, wireless, wireless set